Laser Deep Pocket Cleaning
In general, the treatment of periodontal disease is a race: the body healing and regaining attachment vs. bacteria re-establishing in the pocket. Therefore, treatment should speed up the healing process, and/or interfere with the recolonization of the bacteria. Most people don't know it, but about half of the population suffers from moderate to severe gum disease. Dentists have a number of tools to help us do this. They involve scaling and root planning as a first step then periodontal surgery for severely infected gums. Unfortunately, gum disease treatment is perceived as a painful procedure with a long recovery period, which makes people shy away from taking care of the problem. Well, here's the perfect solution!... At Ferrari dental clinics, all periodontal procedures are done using waterlase MD ( Er,Cr:YSGG laser) and LaserSmile (diode laser) from Biolase. A laser pocket cleaning reduces Discomfort, Bleeding, Pain, and promotes faster healing...
Advantages of laser deep pocket cleaning:
- Faster healing
- Reduced risk of infection: because the high-energy beam sterilizes the area being worked on
- Decreased Sensitivity
- Less time in the dental chair
- Less bleeding: because the high-energy light beam aids in the clotting (coagulation) of exposed blood vessels, thus inhibiting blood loss
- Less post-treatment discomfort
- Reduce the need for chemo-therapeutics
- Damage to surrounding tissue is minimized.
A laser periodontal pocket treatment involves:
- Perio probe indicates excessive pocket depth.
- Laser light removes bacteria and diseased tissue.
- Ultrasonic scaler and special hand instruments are used to remove root surface tarter.
- Laser finishes cleaning pocket and aids in sealing the pocket closed so new germs cannot enter.
- Healing of gums to clean root surface occurs.
These procedures Include:
- Soft tissue curettage and reduction of the bacterial count within the pocket: Our soft tissue dental laser exert their bacterial reduction effect through photo thermal means. Used well below the surgical parameters used for other laser therapies, dental lasers deliver light energy locally to the infected site to eradicate the bacteria by causing a rupture of the cell wall. Laser energy is delivered by light to which there are no contra-indications and to which the bacteria cannot develop a resistance.
- Removal of diseased, infected inflamed and necrosed soft tissue within the periodontal pocket without removing any of the healthy tissue: The Er,Cr:YSGG laser (Waterlase MD) ablates soft tissue by selectively removing a few cell layers at a time. Because of this, the Er,Cr:YSGG laser allows a periodontist to achieve the successful results that are conventionally achieved only by using more aggressive surgical techniques.
- Removal of highly inflamed oedematous tissue affected by bacteria penetration of the pocket lining and junctional epithelium.
- Maintain the height of the tissue around teeth: Periodontal regeneration is defined as the replacement of lost connective tissue and supporting bony structure is characterized by the dynamic interaction of the three tissue types in the oral cavity: epithelium, connective tissue and bone. If epithelium is not properly managed, rapid growth may result in unpredictable periodontal regeneration, i.e. long-junctional epithelium. Conventional site-specific perio treatment outcomes can be improved by creating a biologic advantage for connective tissue and bone. This can be facilitated by a surgically placed membrane that excludes epithelial cells from the healing process, which results in regeneration. "Guided tissue regeneration," as this technique is called, is a proven and widely used technique. It may be possible to achieve the same process of cellular exclusion to enhance the biologic response using an laser- assisted, minimally invasive technique called "epithelial ablation".
- Get a closure of the periodontal pocket wound and allow healing to take place.
Laser assisted scaling using the Er; Cr: YSGG v/s Hand Scaling:
Controlling periodontal disease makes it possible to save and restore otherwise hopeless involved teeth!